Thursday, June 14, 2012

If I Die (Soul Screamers # 5) by Rachel Vincent


The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.

Where to find more info:
Rachel VIncent: http://rachelvincent.com/ 

Shelley's Review
I was reluctant to read this fifth book in the Soul Screamers series. So many things changed in My Soul to Steal. And not for the better. Those who read it before me, told me I wouldn't like it, there were more surprises, it might break my heart. Well, to that I say, when hasn't Rachel broken my heart?...Really? So I was nervous. Knowing Kaylee and Nash were still in pain, knowing they would have to struggle to get back what they'd once had, if they could. I knew things would be drastic, the challenges would be more difficult, the relationships would remain strained. Still, I wasn't quite ready for what was in store.
She takes the torture to the nth degree here. I went through every emotion; love, hate, anger,disbelief, disappointment and hope...a small bit of hope, that maybe in the end, things would turn out the way I imagine they should be. In an attempt at not giving anything away, I'll say this book was at times, difficult to read and just as difficult to put down. I didn't like the direction things were going or how quickly changes were taking place. I was scared and shocked at the risks taken and more than dismayed when events took a turn for the worst.
You might think that means I didn't care for If I Die, on the contrary, I really enjoyed it. Yes, I do apparently enjoy a certain amount of pain, but I think this installment has been my favorite of the series.
It was suspenseful, unpredictable, eye opening and a thrill a minute. There was no downtime as time was running out. Decisions were made impulsively and out of emotion and each had a ripple effect that rocked the beane sidhe's world and hit everyone at their core. There isn't anyone that's not affected by Kaylee's impending doom and there isn't anything they wouldn't do to prevent it.
If I Die isn't so much a roller coaster ride. It's more like a train wreck. Something tragic you can't pull yourself away from.  A beautiful disaster.
I was stunned by the ending...flipping the pages, thinking, "No! She can't leave it here?". But oh yes, she did. I can hardly wait to get my hands on Before I Wake. Bravo Rachel. You and Kaylee have made it onto my Top 5 Favorite Love/hate fictional relationships list. Job. Well. Done.
#StillTeamNash

 

=SCORCHER
 

No comments:

Post a Comment