Friday, March 22, 2013

Love and Skate & How it Rolls by Lila Felix


I was overjoyed when I was presented with an opportunity to read and give an honest review of both of these books by Lila Felix...So, reading them back to back, I will give my thoughts about each one within this post.  Also, I want to give a huge Thank you to Lila Felix for sending me these books.
On the rink she’s tough, she’s a leader, she’s fast and she’s the epitome of a rebellious girl. But Nellie’s been hurt, only once, but it was enough to make her look at life through different eyes and off the rink she’s a timid girl who loves with no pretenses.
A long time ago Owen Black was betrayed by the girl he thought he loved and the guy he called his best friend. The anguish set off a domino effect of negativity in his life and he never has fully recovered. He meets Nellie Forrester and thinks he can let it go for her.
But how can you love someone when the wounds from your past are still wide open?






 So, I opened up book one, Love and Skate, wondering what in the world was I going to encounter.  I mean, ok, so we have a derby skater...what kind of story am I gonna get??
Well, let me say, it is a mind blowing story.  From start to finish, I was captivated by the two main characters, Nellie and Owen, and highly intrigued with secondary characters that really added flair in some interesting scenes.  
But, lets focus on the main ones for this point. We start out being introduced to Nellie, our derby skater, who is eccentric, kind, hard-working, and a hard-ass derby girl.  And, did I mention she has blue hair?? Yep, she sure does...*chuckles* and she changes the color quite frequently.  I actually loved that about her too!!  I was always curious as to what was coming next....Anyway, completely staying away from the dating scene from a past relationship of being burned, her life consists of school, work, and practices/bouts.  
That all changes with the chance meeting of Owen.  
One of the great things about the book is that we get both characters POV.  So, being inside both of their heads really give you a chance to connect to both. While reading from Owen's POV, we see how he was already infatuated with Nellie.  Just a glimpse of her and BAM, he just had to get to know her...
So, of course, this is a beautiful love story.  It is not all bells and whistles...they each have their faults and make mistakes...but watching two people grow and learn...finding strength in themselves to overcome the adversities set before them...I mean, it is just a story that you absolutely fall in love with.  It reaches in to your heart, allows you to get carried away in the romance, and ache when things don't go the way they are planned.
I literally couldn't put it down.  I was wrapped up in this love affair of real people, who have real issues, and don't fit to the norms of society.  It is a book that is now a piece of your soul, that you carry around with you everywhere...feeling that warm emotion when you think about the loving tale of Nellie and Owen...
I highly recommend reading this...
 

 Despite the odds, Reed Wolfe is making it, by the skin of her teeth. Her dreams and aspirations will have to wait until she can get on her feet. Because right now she’s homeless and churning on a downward spiral.

Falcon Black is existing. Not living, not thriving, just jutting along a path. But when he finds Reed, he can’t resist the urge to help her, lighten her load. But Falcon tends to go overboard, over the line, crossing boundaries he never thought he would and risking her trust in the process.

Can she accept his love or will it end up smothering her?
Well, as I finished Love and Skate, I immediately started How it Rolls. It starts us out 4 years after Love and Skate, and this time we are following one of the Black brothers, Falcon.  First, let me say...I LOVE his name.. It may scream badass...but, guess what?? Falcon is tattooed, mohawk wearing, tongue pierced, business major, with the hugest heart of gold found on an individual.  You instantly fall in love with him because the genuine compassion that he shares for his family, and even strangers is blinding.
But, in his world, he just can't find that right girl.  The one who can accept him for who he is.  So, we find a bachelor that works so hard day in and day out, saving his money, in hopes that one day he will find that special girl...
Which now leads us to Reed...ah Reed, the orange haired girl, derby skater, now working for Nellie (yep, Nellie has her own bookstore) and of course, with Falcon running the financial aspects for Nellie's bookstore, this leads us to these two meeting...and....
Yep, when these two meet....WHAM!! Instant attraction.  
Just like with book one, told in both characters POV...you are immediately connected to these two characters.  I already showed you how easy it is to fall for Falcon, well you easily connect to Reed as well.  And as you learn about her story, your heart breaks for her.  I was eagerly pushing for Reed and Falcon to get together.  He is everything that she needs, and of course, she is the one girl that accepts him whole-heartedly...
But, as before...Lila Felix has a knack for showing us that these characters endure real drama.  Decisions made in relationships can have good and bad consequences, that everyday, no matter what you may do, sometimes that decision can hurt the one you love. 
I know that as I have now read both of these books, I am overwhelmed at the depth of these characters.  They are so well developed.  They are put in to a storyline that provides you with a view in to true love....finding that one partner to share your life and dreams with, and knowing that no matter what happens, they will always love you.  Seeing the strength in these relationships, especially when not every individual started out with those kinds of relationships, gives you hope...
I can honestly say that these books are part of my favorites...I devoured them and can't wait for the next book to soak up more of these fabulous characters...
A MUST READ...HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!


Love and Skate

How it Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment